Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Write a review
- 6 portobello mushrooms
- 6 buns (whole wheat, multigrain, or gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, coconut oil or other healthy oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2-3 ounces cheese of your choice (optional) (if you want to stay vegan, make some cashew nut cheese)
- sprouts, lettuce or choice of other greens like dandelion, arugula or spinach
- Heat a skillet on medium-low heat and add 1/2 tablespoon oil. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and let caramelize, stirring occasionally for about 8-10 minutes.
- While onions are caramelizing, brush mushrooms with remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with pepper, onion and chili powder. Heat a skillet (you can grill them too) on medium heat and cook until mushrooms are juicy and tender, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Once they are cooked if you wish you can add your cheese like you would with a burger to let it melt.
- The burgers are assembled by placing the mushroom on the bun, then top with onions, avocado, onions and tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts, etc. You can add any grilled vegetables to the burgers as well - zucchini, peppers, etc, just use your imagination!
Patricia Eales Nutrition https://www.patriciaeales.com/