1 medium butternut squash,
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (yields: 1.5 cups cooked)
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2-1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
One 15-oz can black beans (or about 1.5-2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
3/4 cup cheese (for vegan option, use Daiya cheese)
4 tortilla wraps (large or x-large)
Toppings of choice: (avocado, salsa, sour cream, tomatoes, spinach/lettuce, cilantro, etc)
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Cut butternut squash in half and drizzle olive oil on squash. Salt and pepper lightly (or to taste) Roast butternut squash for 45 mins. or until fork tender.
2. Cook quinoa in water in pot on stove, or in rice cooker.
3. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add oil, onion, and minced garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in salt and spices and stir well.
4. Add chopped red pepper, black beans, and cooked quinoa and sauté for another 10 mins. on low.
5. When butternut squash is tender remove from oven and cool slightly. Scoop flesh from squash halves and add to the skillet and stir well. Mash the squash with a fork if some pieces are too large. Add cheese and heat another couple minutes.
6. Add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve. Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap.