Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad
This delicious salad is great all year round, and contains foods that are shown to slow down the aging process.
Write a review
- 2 cups roasted squash (see roasting instructions below)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups greens of choice - kale, chard, etc.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cups crushed nuts of choice (almonds, walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios)
- Cumin Dressing (see recipe below)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2. Peel and remove the seeds from the squash. Cube the squash into bite sized pieces and put in a large bowl. Toss the squash with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1/2 tsp sweet paprika. Place the squash on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- 3. Roast for 35-45 minutes or until squash is tender.
While butternut squash is roasting, prepare Cumin Dressing
- 1. In a small frying pan over high heat, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Grind cumin seeds using a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Combine with 2 tbsp lemon juice, tbsp oil, cumin and 1 tbsp honey or agave. Whisk until well combined
- In a large bowl, add the cooked squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add the quinoa, greens, cranberries and nuts. Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
- If not serving salad straight away, reserve dressing and add at time of serving
- Sweet potato makes a great substitution for butternut squash!
Patricia Eales Nutrition http://www.patriciaeales.com/