Ingredients: (Use organic wherever possible)
• 2 cups uncooked quinoa
• 2 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup red onion, grated and squeezed dry
• ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
Rinse quinoa under cool water for couple of minutes in fine sieve to remove bitterness. Put in rice cooker with just over 1 and 1/3 cups water and set to cook.
Transfer to food processor fitted with metal blade. Add beans, onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, jalapeno, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Puree until smooth.
Form into 1/2-inch thick patties. Place bread crumbs in shallow bowl. Press patties into crumbs, turning to coat both sides.
In non-stick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties in batches, turning once, for 8 minutes or until browned.
Slice patties and serve warm over salad greens dressed with carrot ginger dressing
Can also be formed into meatballs and baked in 350F oven until cooked through (approx 20 minutes)
Carrot-Ginger Dressing for Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
• 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
• 1 small shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
• 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh ginger
• 2 tablespoons sweet white miso
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
• 1/4 cup grapeseed or another neutral oil
• 2 tablespoons water
Place all ingredients in food processor and blend til preferred consistency.